Spirent communications is a global designer of state-of-the-art test solutions, for communications and satellite navigation sectors (Spirent - Positioning & Navigation). Spirent’s unrivalled experience and expertise in GNSS simulation ensures accurate results that customers trust and rely on to evaluate their products and applications. Spirent designs and produces signal simulators for Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) such as Global Positioning System (GPS), Russian GLONASS, European GALILEO, Chinese COMPASS regional augmentation systems (such as WAAS, EGNOS and MSAS) and regional positioning systems (such as QZSS and IRNSS)
Spirent GNSS simulator is a computer-controlled RF signal generator with extremely high accuracy & fidelity with flexible scenario generation tools for different vehicle types. It supports a range of modelling options for codes, signals and variables, receiver antennas, satellite constellation and other errors in a controlled environment. The setup provides excellent repeatability and control with a range of truth data for evaluation and testing. Spirent is based in the UK.
GNSS Simulators - Overview
GNSS simulators from Spirent provide a superior alternative for testing compared to using actual GNSS signals in a live environment (live sky).
Some of the benefits of using a GNSS simulators are:
- Control and repeatability;
- Low project costs and shorter timescales;
- Emulation of future signals before deployment (L2C, L5, L1C);
- Flexibility to emulate a range of variables;
- Completeness to test systems in all conditions;
- Reliability with the "Truth" known for performance evaluation;
- Efficiency to produce a range of tests in the laboratory; and
- Real RF signals to test GNSS equipment core performance with support for hardware-in-the-loop testing.
Simulators are available to suite customer requirements, ranging from dual frequency, multiple constellations system of GSS8000 to single frequency multiple constellation standalone system of GSS6700 to a single channel single frequency system of GSS6300.
For comprehensive GNSS Simulator information:
GSS8000 - Elite Expandable Solution
GSS8000 is a powerful yet flexible choice for Research and Development applications which supports multi-system and multi constellation GNSS testing. The GSS8000 Multi-GNSS Constellation Simulator can provide GPS/SBAS, GLONASS and Galileo signals. GPS configurations can also support QZSS and SBAS. Classified signals and various options are also available.
Some features of the GSS8000 are:
- Up to 3 carriers in a single chassis;
- GPS, GLONASS, Galileo and SBAS supported;
- Architecture supports future Compass & QZ signals;
- Open and encrypted signals available;
- Up to 48 channels in a chassis plus up to 192 additional programmable multipath channels (total 240 channels per chassis); and
- One or two RF outputs per chassis
For comprehensive GSS8000 information:
GSS6700 - Engineering / Production Test Solution
The GSS6700 supports any combination of GPS/SBAS, GLONASS and Galileo L1 signals and provides accurate, repeatable combined multi-GNSS signals. The GSS6700 can be configured with up to 12 channels of one constellation only or with multiple constellations. Some features of GSS6700 are:
- Up to 36 channels, 12 independent channels of each constellation;
- Class leading accuracy, fidelity and reliability;
- Save and compare DUT data;
- Receiver antenna pattern modelling;
- Import motion from logged NMEA (requires SimGEN or SimREPLAYplus); and
- Selection of scenario generation and simulation control software available.
For comprehensive GSS6700 information:
GSS6300 - Production Go/ NoGo Test Solution
GSS6300 is the ideal solution for high volume, Multi-GNSS manufacturing environments. The GSS6300 Multi-GNSS Signal Generator provides a single channel of GPS/SBAS, GLONASS and/or Galileo L1 signals for production testing of commercial GNSS receivers. Some features are:
- Can be synchronized to other systems via 1PPS/Trigger, frequency standard input/output and 1PPS output;
- Industry-leading stability, quality and reliability;
- 1 channel GPS L1 C/A, GLONASS L1 C/A, Galileo E1 OS;
- User control over test parameters including power level, Doppler, PRN, GPS time and data message; and
- Comprehensive control ICD for easy integration into manufacturing test rig.
For comprehensive GSS6300 information:
GSS6400 - Record and Playback
An emerging technique for evaluating GNSS receiver performance is by “Recording” the RF signal for subsequent “Playback” in the lab. Record and Playback systems provide real-world signals that are repeatable.
Some of the benefits of Record and Playback systems are:
- Repeatability provides the same real life RF signal;
- Cost effective as no need to return to field repeatedly; and
- Real world conditions of interference, fading and propagation to complement fully simulated testing.
GSS6400 Record and Playback System features are:
- Full 2 bit resolution at 1575 MHz for high fidelity;
- Simple to operateProvides repeatable test environments;
- Represents real world conditions; and
- Makes collaboration easy with scenarios portable between units.
For comprehensive GNSS GSS6400 Simulator information: